Wednesday, May 14, 2008

An expression of capacity

I've been bargaining and reasoning with my mom and husband on all the reasons why it would be OK to do a headstand despite orders to wait 6 weeks. My mom is putting her energy into a daily, ferocious, and unsuccessful battle against the ants in the house.  Meanwhile, Harry is building a strong case to persuade the medical staff  to let Jack come home.  So, since I can't do my yoga practice I  looked up the word 'patience' in the dictionary as I felt we needed a reminder...

 pa*tience noun :the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. Hmmm... clearly this is a test of our capacity.  I trust that everything prior to this point has prepared us for this moment. Occasionally, we just need to get utterly frustrated and then remember how deeply equipped we are and that we have the capacity, strength, and patience to wait a little while longer. 

Fortunately, Jack is doing much better. The rash and fever mysteriously disappeared without a full understanding of the root cause. Apparently, this is not too uncommon after transplant with all the meds he is on and being immuno-suppressed but as long as it goes away they don't get too concerned.   He is pretty wiped out after 2 days of Benadryl and a fever so we are working to rebuild his strength and stamina. He's a little nervous to stand on his own two feet but such a simple act even for us 'grown-ups'  can be hard at times. 

Jack's blood pressure it a touch high which earned him another night on the 5th floor. Argh! (One more night for Harry to polish up on his lines of  the movie "Chicken Little").  Again, not uncommon after transplant but something they want stabilized before he comes home.  Jack's bag is packed and dad has one foot out the door already. We hope tomorrow will be the day. 

5 comments:

kellie said...

NO HEADSTANDS, although I understand the urge ( :
Thanks for the patience reminder. I have a jar of questions at home that a student gave me once and we were playing around with it tonight and my questions was....
Using all 26 letters of the alphabet list what you are grateful for......so I began with....
A.....Ali.

Have a peaceful nights rest and I hope jack gets to come home tomorrow! love, kel

Matt Dahlien said...

Let us do the headstands, handstands, and cartwheels for you...and Jack coming home! Hopefully both of Harry's feet will be carrying Jack home soon. What a kid...

Matt, Allison and Maddie

Bo said...

You stay right side up! ....ok what's the right side anyway? You are not allowed to plagarize that rational with your Mom and Harry.

Patience .... man vibin' with you again .... really touching the way your words expand it .... makes me not miss you at all.

Lovelots

Jill Dunlap said...

Miss Al-
- the thought of you doing a headstand against doctors orders just makes me giggle. I love the updates and seeing the fancy dinner that you all had in "The Library". It sounds like a posh restaurant. I pray that Jack gets to go home tomorrow and that you guys can get one step closer to normalcy. We are sending lots of love from the Lou!!
xoxo- Jill

Unknown said...

Ali,

I've enjoyed reading your blog. What an incredible family!! I hope Jack gets to come home soon!

Thinking of you all,
Jennifer Roberts