Saturday, December 21, 2013

A WORLD OF CONTRAST

 I was pulling out of the U of M Amplatz Hospital parking garage yesterday when my phone went “ting”. A text arrived from Mekea (Jack’s donor) revealing pictures of the recent article written in Mpls/St Paul mag by her sister, Megan Collins. I could feel my heart accelerate and my vision blur from the tears of joy. It was sweet to revel in such a beautiful story again. And yet, my heart was heavy, as Jack had been admitted early that morning for a biopsy on his new kidney to determine if we were dealing with a rejection episode. Once again, Mekea and I collide in a moment of divine perfection.

This wasn’t the first time we were admitted for a biopsy on the new kidney. The first one was October 15th – just after the kids were settled back in school and things were starting to feel normal at home again. Labs had been elevated and as promised by Jack’s doctor, they would act fast with any indication of possible rejection. He was NOT in rejection (whew!) but days later we learned that he had the BK virus. 

The BK virus is a common virus, 70-90% of adults are exposed to. It’s a virus that really doesn’t express outward symptoms but nephrologists know it is a real threat to kids that are immuno-compromised and have transplanted kidneys. Simultaneously, nephrologists don’t yet understand BK well enough yet to deal with it with clarity and confidence. The BK virus is known to cause scarring on the kidney – which becomes a chronic form of rejection, something that is irreversible.  The treatment for this virus is to lower the level of immuno-suppressive drugs so that there is just enough immune system to clear the virus but not too much so that he starts to reject the kidney. It’s a slippery slope. The BK virus, along with our emotions, has bounced around like a yo-yo since mid-October.  However, the last 3 weeks showed we were making great progress. The BK virus was at an all time low.  The trend was favorable but we also saw an acute change in Jack’s creatinine level. Hence, biopsy #2 got scheduled yesterday, Dec 20th.

Today, we learned that Jack is having some cellular rejection. The shock is wearing off or perhaps just pushed to the background to deal with at another time. For now, we just rise up, meet the situation, and normalize it for our family as best as we can. Tonight, we dined in bed at Amplatz Hospital and watched Polar Express. It was the best snuggle fest I have had with the kids in awhile. His treatment of IV steroids has begun (only 30 min/day) for the next several days and then hopefully he can be discharged or continue with the steroid protocol at home. We caught this rejection episode fast so we are hopeful that we can reverse it and get on our merry way. Yes, acute rejection can be stopped. However, it is complicated because of the BK virus that lurks in the background. If all goes well, he’ll be home by Xmas Eve.

In other news, the hems on Jack’s uniform pants are all being let down over holiday break. He has grown substantially.  He is playing basketball, signed up for ski lessons, rainbow looming, eating ANYTHING he wants, and scheming a bit to make youtube videos that will show kids how to take meds.  The closets have been cleansed of medical supplies from his feeding tube and dialysis catheters. The blood pressure monitor no longer rules the house. 

Coincidentally, today is the winter solstice, the longest night of the year, our darkest day.  (Would you even believe me if I told you the dishwasher broke today and the ipad cracked!?) We are talking a seriously dark day. No  - I am kidding.  I’m grateful for my journey so I have some good, real perspective when those things happen.  The truth is, we live in a world of contrast. Darkness serves as much as light. As I see it, the solstice is the rumbling of new beginnings, a time to steep in the dark and make our wishes for the next cycle.

Dream big.
Keep us in your hearts and prayers.

Love, 
Ali

Thank you Megan for writing such a beautiful story in Mpls/St. Paul mag.

Thank you Sarah Hrudka for capturing the magic in your photography.

Thank you Mekea for giving life to my son and awakening the hearts of our community. I hope more people follow in your path.


Polar Express snuggle fest

Jack becoming a Wii master at Amplatz. (open for visitors. pls call me first)






4 comments:

Lisa Van Ahn said...

Love, Love, Love you! Praying with all my heart for a holiday at home with your family.

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

Healthline.com recently launched a free interactive "Human Body Maps" tool. I thought your readers would be interested in our body map of the kidney: http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/kidney

It would be much appreciated if you could include this tool on http://acertainkidney.blogspot.com/ and / or share with friends and followers. Please let me know if you have any questions.


Thank you in advance.
Warm Regards,

Maggie Danhakl- Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline Networks, Inc. * Connect to Better Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com

Anonymous said...

Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:    Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

Anonymous said...

InFebruary 2017, my immune system was not functioning correctly and my primarycare physician did a N.A.E.T. Treatment with Laser Acupuncture andAuricular Acupuncture to try to desensitize my body from the differentallergies and allergies to the metals. This procedure began to make me drained and very fatigued.  He recommended that I have a GI Stool testdone as I was having GI issues in February 2017, to check for parasites,pathogens, bacterial flora, and fungi/yeasts. The results showed that I had a Bacterial Pathogen called Salmonella,high amounts of normal bacterial flora, called Enterococcus spp. andEscherichia spp., 2 parasites called Dientamoeba fragilis and Endolimax nana, and2 types of fungi/yeasts called Candida spp. and Geotrichum spp.   The doctor recommended that I take Dr Itua Herbal Medicine to get rid of the Candida as that was the main concern at thetime and I did purchase Dr Itua Herbal Medicine and after taking it all as instructed I was totally cured so is a urged form of heart to believe in herbal medicines but yes indeed natural remedies should be recognize around the globe because is the only healing that has no side effect on each every healing, I will recommend anyone here with health challenge to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he capable of all kind of disease like Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Kidney disease,Parkinson,ALS,Copd. with a complete cure without coming back.